I wanted to inform the church, as soon as possible, that I have identified a mole in the organization that has been leaking intentions, motives, and strategies to anyone who will ask. Some of the leaks are even documents that have secret plans on them. It seemed most prudent to have everyone find out about this situation at the same exact moment in fairness everyone involved. We are all aware of how fast news like this spreads. The best way to handle a predicament like this is to just let the facts speak for themselves so here is the deal:
I am the mole, and I even have proof.
Let's all just be honest right now and admit that is one eye-catching and juicy lead line! Don't be disappointed and stop reading! I really have some proof you need to see and even an internal document from the last 48 hours that was circulated in the leadership of GCC that you need to read! I have made no edits to this document. Nothing is blacked out. We are going to put the entire thing right here in this post so everyone can read it!I have been meeting with people talking about the things that God is stirring in the heart of His church. It has been exciting. I want to share a story about it with you to let you peek into the heart of what we are aiming for, and then I'll ask you to read the internal document we are sharing.
I met with one gentleman recently and answered some questions he had on a variety of topics. It’s usual for me to ask for advice and be transparent about the decisions leadership prayerfully makes. When you don’t have an answer to a problem, the best thing to do is just say so. A few days later my wife ran into the wife of this gentleman. They exchanged greetings, and then this lady expressed to my wife that it seems like we are simply "over our heads." Please don't think that this is crazy for me to ‘out’ a single person in this way. It wasn’t the first time that Jen and I have heard this in the past 22 years of following the call to proclaim Christ crucified. It hasn’t been a single person nor would we ever receive such a word about our ability from a person without following Christ’s instructions to ‘take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ’ (2 Cor 10:5).So I have been taking . . . And retaking that comment captive over a few weeks. As I strive to make all thoughts obedient to Christ, I am reminded of His Word to me in so many beautiful ways.
- God didn’t call Moses because he was capable. God was capable, and Moses was obedient.
- Paul rejoiced in his inadequacies. Paul rejoiced in his weakness. As a matter of fact, that is how Jesus gets more glory! He writes in 2 Corinthians 12:9b-10, Therefore I will boast all the more gladly in my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest on me. That is why, for the sake of Christ, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
You have got to know these scriptures.
How can you make thoughts obedient to Christ if you don’t know what His metrics are? What are His teachings that would guide how you should be classifying thoughts? How are you going to know when to throw an idea out or keep it and build your life on it. One wrong decision could drastically alter your life course. It’s imperative that you know how to make thoughts captive!What is being put in front of you right now? What is going on in your life that you need help deciding? We all have messages sent our way. One of the hardest skill-sets to acquire is the ability to discern. Life experience is helpful. But nothing will ever be able to compete with the potency of knowing the entire counsel of God’s Word to guide and direct your life.
When we come together on the weekends as a church, we are exercising muscles to help us cope and maneuver through the difficult messages sent our way. We are going to exercise proclamation this week. As a body, we need to:
- Testify to one another the goodness of our God.
- Boast in our weaknesses and God’s ability to overcome.
- Share our burdens with one another.
- Proclaim God’s healing victory in our lives.
- Witness to people who are in our midst and lost that Jesus is REAL.
- Encourage one another in love and good deeds.
The Staff, Elders, and Key Leaders:
I want to invite you into the prayer, planning, and leadership of a special element during this weekend's services. Our Theme song during this "For You" Series is “Welcome the Healer” and the message and words of this song have helped craft this element. This email is intended to join us together in unity for a specific moment as a church in response to God’s Word.
What is it?
We are inviting people in the audience to come and Finish the sentence: “I welcome the Healer ______________”. This will happen at the end of the message during a planned response time. We are crying out to Jesus to come and heal us as a single entity and as individual members. People will be directed to go to the center cross aisle in the sanctuary where a few key leaders will have the public address microphones.
Some great examples of what would be edifying and appropriate to the body would be:We welcome the Healer . . .
...Into my unbelief
...to bring unity
...Into my addiction
...to our church
...Into my Anger
...to our sadness
...Into my brokenness
...to the division
...Into my depression
...to our fear
...Into guarding my heart and mind
...into my Dr. report
...Into what I will wear
...into my secret life
...Into what others think about me
...into my insecurities
...Into my thoughts about suicide
...into my priorities
...Into my past
...into my work
Why Should we Do this?It is Biblical. God's Word demands a response. The New Testament letters were written to believers. They were written to the church to encourage, continue in our equipping and to assure us of the hope that we have. Our weekend gatherings need to incorporate our testimony to who God is and what He is doing NOW in our lives. As believers, we have not arrived. We are in progress, being sanctified. It is messy and yet beautiful. The more honest we are about that process, the more attractive the Gospel is! When people see us inviting a real living Spirit into our lives, into our brokenness, we DEMOLISH (2 Cor. 10:5) every argument against the Gospel! Let these verses pour over your heart as God prepares us for this weekend!
Psalm 107:2 Let the redeemed of the LORD tell their story-- those he redeemed from the hand of the foe,...
1 Peter 3:15b Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for hope that you have.
Matthew 10:32 "Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven."
Luke 8:39 ESV "Return to your home, and declare how much God has done for you." And he went away, proclaiming throughout the whole city how much Jesus had done for him.
Mark 5:19b "Go home to your people and report to them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how had mercy on you."
Acts 1:8 "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has comes on you, and you shall be My witnesses..."Declaring our need for the Healer is Biblical. Praising Him immediately for the help He brings is Biblical. This practice is intended to be a part of our corporate worship times!
What is my role?
- Stand and be counted. Levites are WARRIOR Priests who were positioned first in battle. I am asking the WARRIOR Priests of GCC to prayerfully consider how you would invite the Healer into our Church and your life.
- Let your words and attitude reflect the words in Philippians 4:8 ESV, “...whatever is true, whatever is honorable whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”
- May the way you invite the Spirit into our Church edify the Body of Christ.
- Listen to this song over the next 48 hours.
- Pray it. Learn it.
- Sync up with the sentiment and message.
- Ask for the outpouring of God on our Church this weekend.
- Forward this email to people on your team, call people, ask them to be prepared to Testify, respond, witness, confess, on Sunday. I am thinking of so many people who need to get a phone call or be specifically asked. I won't take that from you. It would not be Biblical. Jethro told Moses to delegate! It has been said that it takes 400 people to make a weekend happen at GCC, then 400 people should get this email or a phone call in the next 48 hours from church leadership. If a person serves in your area, then please forward to them with a personal invitation to participate in this weekend's services.
- Reflect on what God is doing at GCC and your part in it.
- Isaiah 43:19a, “See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?” God is doing a NEW THING at our church! What a great thing to be a part of. Embrace this fully. It is FOR all of us. He is genuinely leading our experience.
- Acts 5:39 “But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."
It’s not my thing!
I get it. Public speaking is NOT a requirement for following Christ or being an active Kingdom worker. We can't have every staff member, elder, small group leader in every service take up all the available time we have. The body NEEDS to participate in this moment. Paul has guidance for us here:
Ephesians 4:11-12, So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors, and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up...Fill your role as led by the Holy Spirit! I am trusting that God will guide this coming weekend. He has been leading in the song, the message, even in the obstacles. God ADVANCES before the Bride in Spiritual Warfare. Here’s the last scripture. I hope you are still reading! We DESPERATELY NEED TO KNOW THIS Word from God. Paul is instructing the church in Corinth:
As individuals, we are all in constant need of the Healer. Let us come together for the better! I need the Healer (Jesus) in EVERY WAY. You need a continuous ‘Healer’ encounter. Our church also needs healing in many ways. May John 17 Unity abound. May the storehouse of the Lord be made full in obedience during this season at our church. May the people see the new thing that God is doing and give to the continued work of the Lord at GCC. May the eldership and staff continue to be knit together in Biblical Unity that the body perceives and rejoices in!
Let’s welcome the Healer in this place!